Rants of a College kid

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Conscientious Objectors

As we all know, theres a war going on. It's been goin on for a few years now. So why are people joining the military and then deciding that they are a conscientious objector to the war on terroism? The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal has an article about one such girl. She joined the Texas National Guard in 2002 and is now saying she's an objector. Does anyone else see an issue with this? This is the article:
  • Wisconsin woman seeks objector status
  • . Now she has suddenly decided after being completely ready to go to war and fight for her country that she now doesn't want to? I'm sorry but this is just bull. If you're going to join the military, a service that by name brings images of war, you should be prepared to do your time and the service requested of you. This is the oath that this woman had to take when she joined: I, _________________________________, do solemly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of ___________________________________ against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of ________________________ and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God. Now this is the oath for the men and women of the national guard, and the words "So help me God" are optional based on religious preferences. However after swearing an oath, shouldn't one be expected to uphold that oath?
    We challenge our presidents and other elected officials to uphold any oaths that they make. Why do we not do the same for the members of our armed services? How are the people who have sworn to defend our freedom suddenly able to decided to that they don't want to? I fully believe that these individuals should continue a service that they agreed to. Especially those who have enlisted KNOWING there is a war going on. Now everyone may not agree with me, however think about it....If it weren't for the men and women who fight to defend our country would you be reading this blog right now? Would I even be able to say the things that I have said? Probably not. We need the men and women who swear to uphold our constitution and defend our freedoms to stay commited that promise.

    2 Comments:

    • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Mike said…

      Maddie...if you ever run for public office let me know and I'll campaign for you. Congratulations to your parents for doing such a good job raising you. Believe me when I say, you do have your head on straight.

       
    • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Crazy Politico said…

      Something about the term "Armed Forces" would make me think that just maybe I might be joining something that fights.

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home